Everything You Need to Learn About ETA Visa Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization or eTA is a new requirement that applies to foreign nationals who have been exempted by visas and are traveling through Canada. This is only necessary if the foreign citizen is flying to Canada via Canada air. Canadian citizens and people with Visas to Canada don’t need an eTA certificate for entry. Ensure your visit to Canada from the UK is a smooth, enjoyable experience please read on Canada ETA Visa on the new Electronic Travel Authorisation requirements for air travelers.


If the individual is a citizen of a visa-exempt nation and is granted work permits or study permits, he/she will automatically be issued an eTA upon acceptance of the work permit or study permit application. US citizens can travel to Canada without an eTA and visa. US citizens can enter Canada with a valid US Passport. Green card holders, permanent US residents, and green card holders will need an eTA in order for them to travel to Canada.

A person who is dual-citizen, meaning that they have Canadian citizenship, and also at least one citizenship from another country, does not need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. For air travel, they must bring their Canadian passport. Permanent residents of Canada do not require an eTA Canada. However, permanent residents need to have a valid PR Card or Permanent Resident Document in order to travel to Canada.


eTA applications are very easy. Online applications can be made through the Government of Canada’s website. They cost $7 CAD. The application takes just a few seconds and can be granted for up to five year. The eTA document is electronic and electronically tied to the person’s passport number. The Canadian Government does not supply any physical documents.

To apply for the eTA, you need a valid passport and an email address. A debit or credit card is also required. The eTA lasts five years or until expiry of the individual’s current passport. With an eTA valid, an individual can travel to Canada any number of times he or she wishes, for as little as six months. The Canada Department of Immigration electronically transmits the information in the application. It then sends an individual the Canada electronic travel authorization via email.


An individual must always have a valid passport, or any travel document, that is valid for at least 6 month from the date they arrived in Canada. To obtain a new passport, one must also get a new eTA. After an individual’s electronic travel authorization has been approved, they will need to confirm that the eTA number and the passport number match. If they are different, the eTA must be renewed.

Leave a Reply